Embarking on a month-long backpacking journey in the Philippines is an adventure of a lifetime, especially for a couple. From pristine beaches to vibrant cultural experiences, this archipelago offers an array of experiences. Based on personal experiences, here’s a breakdown of what a couple can expect to spend for a month in the Philippines.
- Cost for Four Nights: We spent around PHP 9,000 (approximately £162) for four nights, averaging about PHP 2,250 (£40) per night. This rate can vary based on the location and type of accommodation but for this you can get a normal room with air-con and a bathroom. It should be noted that most places you stay will over breakfast. This ranges from bread and ham to full whip of oats/eggs and a large plate of fresh fruit.
Food and Dining
- Basic Meals: Expect to spend about PHP 400 (£7.20) per meal at basic local eateries. This can cover a satisfying meal for two, offering a taste of authentic Filipino cuisine or slightly western.
- Tuk-Tuk Rides: Short trips usually cost around PHP 200 (£3.60), a convenient and affordable way to explore local areas.
- Domestic Flights: On average, internal flights can cost around £40 per person. This is a quick way to hop between islands.
- Boat Transfers: For instance, a boat trip from Coron to El Nido can be around £50. These boat rides are not only functional but offer scenic views of the sea and islands.
Activities and Sightseeing
- Beach Days, Hiking, and Local Sightseeing: Many of these activities are low-cost or even free, allowing for affordable exploration.
Our Total Monthly Expense
For our one-month trip, we managed to cover all accommodation, food, transportation, and a bit of spending money with a budget of £2,000 for two people. This budget allowed us to enjoy various aspects of the Philippines without overspending.
- Accommodation: Our stay was comfortable yet budget-friendly, balancing cost with convenience.
- Food: Regular meals at local eateries helped keep our food expenses within budget.
- Transportation: Using tuk-tuks for short trips and booking flights and boats for longer distances proved both efficient and cost-effective.
- Activities: We indulged in the natural beauty of the Philippines, which often required minimal spending.
Traveling in the Philippines as a backpacking couple can be surprisingly affordable. With careful planning and smart choices, a month-long adventure filled with beautiful landscapes, rich culture, and delicious food is very much within reach on a budget of £2,000. Each choice, from where to stay to how to travel, plays a crucial role in shaping the overall cost, making the journey both memorable and economical.